Friday, June 14, 2013

7 day quilt

Lately I've found a lot of stress relief at my sewing machine.



This quilt was cut, pieced, quilted, bound, washed, dried and photographed in 7 days. Which might tell you how much stress I've been under for the past week! It's ok, everything worked out fine, but it was a tad tense for me so I took it out on my stash. :)


This has been my view for many days. The quilt is just 5 inch squares of anything and everything in my cotton stash. I used up a number of scraps, and ended up with an 81" square. The entire thing is quilted 1/4" on each side of every seam, and I did it all on my trusty Bernina 1008. I do love that machine. And I have super Popeye muscles now from holding it up while I quilted. Cripes, it was heavy! 


For the backing I managed to cobble together enough of a lovely Nancy Halvorsen purple (very old, a fall line from around 2002?), and I bound it with a green Moda marble that's been sitting in stash for 10 years as well. Actually I've been doing such a good job of using up stash, it was one of the only pieces large enough to cut 300+ inches of binding strips from.


The batting is inexpensive Hobbs Heirloom cotton, which I don't love but it will do. I do prefer Quilters Dream or Warm & Natural/Warm & White, but this was affordable and drapes nicely so I can snuggle up under the quilt.

Overall I am pleased with this. It's a nutty hodgepodge of colors, prints, scale, etc., but I think in the end it works. When I think "quilt" I think of enterprising frontier women using up scraps of calico dresses, aprons, shirts, and whatever else they could get their hands on. I think this is somewhat true to that ideal, as there are many pieces of calico here that began as little dresses for my daughter from the time she was about 2 years old. It's fun to look over it and remember the things I've made.

So much satisfaction in finishing something this large. Yep, my stress is relieved and I am happy with the result. Have a great weekend, everybody!

5 comments:

Staci said...

I love this! Totally my style of sewing project - stress relief free style :).

Did you spend much time piecing out the colors to get a certain spread of lights of and darks that you liked, or just sort of wing it and let the mix turn out however it would? I find deciding where ot put colors in a quilt stressful, and and hoping for the comfort of knowing a more random approach can result in something this lovely. Nice work!

kate said...

Thanks Staci! As a bit of a "type A" control freak, mixing fabrics is a huge challenge for me. But after making several of these very scrappy quilt tops, I have learned to let go and trust the process. For this I simply tried to alternate light/dark so there would be some contrast. If you look really closely at any two squares it's kind of hideous, but the overall affect is pleasing.

Shari said...

I'm so glad to see you back! I've missed your posts :)

Karen said...

I love the way you quilted it. Like the others, I love the random assorted colors and prints.

LOL Elo Boost said...

My estimate is that gaming companies do want to offer us love in our games, but the point is the extra scripting associated takes an extended period of time which makes it far more expensive to finish. Certainly, if time was the one and only factor we would have noticed far more romantic avenues for Duke in Duke Nukem Forever, in spite of the fact that we liked the two young ladies in a lip lock.
Cheap LOL Account

elo boost